Building & Inspectional Services
The Department of Buildings and Inspectional Services is committed to providing efficient, helpful, fair, and consistent service to the public. We will be accountable and responsible for our duty to promote public health, safety, convenience, and general welfare of the inhabitants of the City of Harvey. We are dedicated to providing the very best in convenient and easily accessible information and services, and accurate information. The Department of Buildings and Inspectional Services is committed to working as a team, uniting with other city departments to accomplish our goal of protecting and serving the citizens of the City of Harvey.
The department can be reached at 708-210-5300 or 708-210-5323.
Owners of all commercial retail food establishments, day cares, and food carts and trucks within The City of Harvey.
We are compliant with all Food and Drug Administration standards. As we move forward with this process all establishments within the municipality will be required to receive bi-annual health inspections. All health inspections will take place during business hours. As we move forward with this process, we want to provide the necessary information that your establishment will need.
All establishments will be required to meet current Food and Drug Administration standards. No establishments will be allowed to be grandfathered in for all standards.
All establishments that are a Category 1 or Category 2 will always be required to have a certified food safety personnel on site at all times.
All establishments that are Category 1 will be required to complete Allergen training.
All establishments that do not meet and pass the necessary standards will be required to receive a follow up inspection.
Business License & Public Safety Registration
- Application (Must be completed for all NEW businesses and places of worship)
- Daycare Application (must be completed for center and homebase daycares)
- Contractor License Registration
Business License and Public Safety Registration Renewals
WHEN DOES A HOMEOWNER NEED A BUILDING PERMIT?
First, check with Planning, Building & Inspectional Services to make sure a permit is required. Failure to obtain a building permit will result in a fine.
- If a contractor is used by the owner to perform any work, the contractor must be registered in the City of Harvey before starting any work.
- A permit is needed on certain types of home improvements, whether performed by the homeowner or a contractor.
- It is the responsibility of the homeowner to be sure that a building permit is obtained prior to the start of work. Plan ahead, allow 7 to 10 days to process the permit.
THE MOST COMMON TYPES OF HOME IMPROVEMENTS THAT REQUIRE PERMITS, WHETHER THE WORK IS PERFORMED BY THE HOMEOWNER OR A CONTRACTOR:
- New residences
- Garages and sheds
- Central Air Conditioning/ Furnaces
- All work requiring the pouring of concrete
- Electrical Service changes
- Swimming pools (permanent installation)
- Fences, porches, patios, and driveways.
*Before beginning a project not listed above, it is still important to check with Inspectional Services just to make sure if a permit is or is not required.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO OBTAIN A PERMIT
- A copy of your Plat of Survey (normally obtained at your closing)
- Application forms filled out
- Pertinent drawings, blueprints
- Material List/Scope of Work
- Homeowners Insurance for DYI projects
WHY ARE PERMITS REQUIRED?
So that Inspectional Services may inspect the job for safety, zoning compliance, sound construction, and building code compliance. Building codes and building permits help protect the health, safety, and general welfare of residents of the community. Likewise, by requiring that the homeowner use a City-registered contractor, the City is helping to insure that the work is being done properly and that the homeowner is being protected.
The Department of Planning, Building and Inspectional Services is located at the City Hall, 15320 Broadway. The phone number is 708-210-5300. We are open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.